Olga Kryl’s message to a Year 8 girl entering Year 9 in September:

My message to a Year 8 girl entering Year 9 in September:

Dear future Y9 student, I know it must feel exciting and hectic entering a new year. As you probably have so many unresolved questions pestering your mind. It feels unrealistic knowing that you are another year closer to the GCSEs, and terrifying at the same time knowing you have to consume tons of new knowledge in the following years. New teachers, new subjects, and new activities are waiting for you in Y9. And I know that your expected work time will increase, and your homework hours will be longer and more tedious. But speaking from my own experience it doesn’t have to be that way. You can make any task you want entertaining and delightful, as long as you have a positive attitude towards your work. My main advice for you is not to overthink everything and view school in a positive light.

Entering Y9, you will begin GCSE courses in multiple subjects. Don’t stress, as even though the work might seem complicated, your learning ability is accelerating with it. The topics are engaging, and our school makes sure to include different experiments and investigations to lure your interest in the subject. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, Y9 is a stage of school where mistakes are expected and valued as a sign of growth. Although you might feel awkward asking a question, it would benefit you in the long run. All of the GCSE studies are built on basic knowledge that our teachers introduce in the early years of school. Build up your confidence and be open to the new opportunities you get. In my opinion, Y9 is an introductory year to the world of young adults, you will learn many new skills, and many engaging opportunities will come across you. Although it might seem like an exhausting year waiting for you, Y9 still feels liberating and self-reliant. Often teachers will provide you independence in many activities you participate in, as year 9 is a deliberate transition to adult life, thus the main goal would be to develop your self-sufficiency in learning.

I believe Y9 is the year to try out something new and get involved in the diverse school functions. Join the school debating team, drama play, participate in house activities, try out for a sport team, get involved in the school social life. And most importantly make new connections, you will gain so many new friends with common interests during the year. Our school is great at providing places to interpret your interest, so take advantage of the opportunities you get on your way.  Don’t be afraid and go for it! The skills you acquire during this year will benefit you for the rest of your life. Experiment with your interests and find something you are passionate about. Although I think you should always maintain a balance between your academic studies, extra curriculum and social life. This will secure many factors such as your grades and relationships with your peers. Don’t overwork as you will have time to do that in the following years. And a piece of advice from me is to value the moments you get in school. Little things like school assemblies, music performances, drama plays, and generally anything that brings you joy should be greatly valued. These are the exact things that will create your memories, the memories that you will hold onto for the rest of your life. And this whole pandemic shows how easily what was once known to be normal can be destroyed.

So, I would say, don’t be afraid to do anything and enjoy this year. Remember that everyone was once in your position, and the questions you have now are only slight worries that are going to vanish once you enter Y9. I am not saying everything will stay the same, as some new changes will be proposed, but it doesn’t mean it should change your whole attitude towards school. Personally speaking, Y9 was a great year for me, many alluring opportunities were laid at my feet and I didn’t hesitate to take them. But most importantly get the feel of the young adult life you are entering and trust me you will enjoy Y9!

Olga Kryl

Year 9, 2019-2020