Model United Nations. James Farrow his debate on Japan’s views on genetic engineering

Every Thursday the Stamford MUN runs a session and on 21st of November 2019 we discussed the matter of genetically engineering babies. This article was chosen as the ethical topic made sure for a colourful debate. I had chosen Japan as I thought it would be interesting to see an Asian perspective on the issue; considering china’s advancements with this technology

Here is my debate for Japan:

Delegates, we are here today to discuss the serious matter of designer babies and genetically editing unborn children. This conversation is very topical and significantly loaded so I will proceed with a large degree of caution. Nevertheless, In Japan we have introduced many plans to tighten control on gene editing. Japan is ethically opposed to it and in Japan as of 2019 there have been many plans to create laws restricting gene editing of fertilized human eggs. This covers the plain researching of it, and as far as disallowing edited eggs to return into the uterus. Japan sees the latter as an effective method at completely preventing its use. There are many alternative preventative options that Japan would like to introduce.

As aforementioned, Japan would like to see edited eggs to be prevented from returning to the uterus but these are not the only methods they want to introduce. The science council of Japan wants “Stringent regulations including prohibition of clinical applications of reproductive medicine involving genome editing” (SCJ 2019-pg6*). This recommendation was decided as they believe my population is not ready for the technology that would be introduced and furthermore, the side affects that could stem from such procedures. Therefore, I the delegate would like to see global support for these regulations as we believe no country is ready yet. Again, as I mentioned the SCJ wants to see “Regulations on basic research involving genome editing of human germ cells and embryos…” this preventative option could be selected as many Japanese citizens have strong understandable ethical apprehensions. Regulating the research and would allow us to take the necessary cautions to protect the public.

The SCJ wants to introduce a larger framework that would scrutinize research and control its implementation. This body would regulate research and implementation stringently and would continue the previous standards set our Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and the Ministry of Health, Labour and welfare.

In Japan we also think there needs to be a worldwide opposition to it. We would like to see sanctions on any country using it. I the Delegate of Japan would suggest that that the MUN impose economic sanctions on any country developing and utilising genetically edited embryos for ‘designer baby’ purposes and strongly regulate any for medical reasons.

A strong example of a scientist abusing their power is the egregious science the Chinese scientist He Jiankui used. He performed the first human gene-editing clinical experiment. Japan have reacted quickly and effectively to how he genetically engineered twins.

In Japan we recognise the need to overcome to the genetic disorders that effect so many but we have to emphasise our fear of this paving the way to the creation of ‘designer babies’. Now here in Japan we regard ‘designer babies’ as parents or scientists selecting certain genes that want the baby to carry. Now to be frank we believe this is steering to close to eugenics.

When the Nazis took power in the 1930’s they selected the future generation by killing the innocent. Now The Nazis purposefully selected people to reproduce to then influence the generations of the future and I feel I have to ask the MUN. How is that so far different from selecting genes to influence the generations of the future? Now maybe that’s a stretch, but imagine if a genocidal leader got his hands on the technology to change the genes of their population. So with that frightening thought I will end on this,

What if a country, a nation, a person deliberately engineered their population or other populations to slowly be the best; the most intelligent; the most athletic; to look the same? In that place they have lost their humanity and therefore today our Stamford MUN must act to ban its development. When the world is ready to embrace it we will but lets not be to hasty.

Let’s think long-term and let’s think about the future.

James Farrow, Year 12.