Exclusive Blog from Jess Nelson on winning Rutland’s Sportswoman of the Year 2018

Rutland Community Sports Awards

ON the 14th November 2018, I was invited to attend the Rutland county sports awards following an anonymous nomination. Over 250 people attended the awards evening in a variety of categories. I was nominated for the Sportswoman of the Year in the over 17 category for my successes in sailing over the past year. It was a formal event with a meal served following a sports themed quiz. During the evening they had a silent auction and raffle to help raise money to help local charities fund activities to get those less able into a sport they could enjoy. It was amazing to see the number of talented sports people there and appreciate everyone’s achievements over the past year. Some of the most inspiring people were the “Volunteers of the Year” who had given up so much of their spare time to help others get into their sport.

After running through each category they reached mine and called all the nominees up on stage. It was amazing to win the award and be named Rutland’s Sportswoman of the Year as there were so many other outstanding athletes in attendance. Following this they did a short interview with each award winner to help inspire others to take up the sports we love. Since the awards evening I have been asked to talk to the local Rutland Youth Sailability group to encourage them to continue with the sport.

All in all, it was a great evening hosted by Greetham Valley Hotel and Golf Course and it was a great privilege to attend the event.