JJ Blogs about what it’s like to coach a Year 8 Rugby Team in SS 100th Blog!

What it’s like to coach a Year 8 rugby team?

Rain was lashing down, the wind howled and the mud underfoot had been chopped and churned so much that you couldn’t work out if you were on or off the pitch. It had been a long, hard, grueling game. Relentless phases of defense had left the team bloodied and bruised. But this didn’t matter, they knew what had to be done, they knew with only thirty seconds left to play that they had to score!

It was as if the pitch had suddenly turned into a battlefield: players hurtled into tackles, teeth gritted, no care for their own safety. Like soldiers they fought for the ball and when we finally won it, they acted with swift execution. Our ball carriers ran hard and straight sending helpless opposition sprawling. Despite the treacherous conditions, we continued our attack; no mistakes were made. Then, in a moment of brilliance, our scrum-half stepped, swiveled, spun and broke the line. Urged on by the deafening roar of the crowd, he raced towards the try line.

You may think this is an extract from Eddie Jones’s autobiography, but, in fact, it is just my description of the Stamford v Bedford game on the 6th October 2018. Although this game only ended in a draw, it showed the key attributes needed in a successful team to come from behind and equalise in the dying moments of a game.

Why coach year 8 rugby? Who would choose to coach reckless, wild 12 year olds? It is easy to see kids in year 8 as immature, silly and annoying (especially when you are a year 11) but, honestly, it is so much fun. They are passionate to play and eager to learn and improve – selectively. To see the drills and coaching pay off and put into use is very rewarding, even more so when I see them perform our new move ‘The Slice’, I’m looking at you backs???. Furthermore, having the team come up to me around school, talk to me about matches and check that I am coming to training is very fulfilling.

However, don’t think that for a second that coaching is all fun and games. I have been challenged to suicide runs, bitten by midges and made to carry tackle bags up to Northfields. Coaching can be as infuriating as it is rewarding, seeing them not execute 2 on 1s or dropping the ball can make your blood boil. All in all, it’s not an easy job so here are my tips to coaching:

• DO NOT DO A BORING WARM UP!Make it as fun and different as possible, include games and contact. Make it as related to your session as you can.
  • Have a clear focus for that session.It could be tackling, rucking, attacking or even more specific like executing overlaps in attack.
  • Use games as much as possible.It has been proven that the decision making in game based training prepares you the best for a match situation.
  • Have a balance of fun and serious training. You will never be able to motivate your team if they don’t look forward to the training. However, they also need to improve.
  • Stay positive.I know it’s a cliché but you learn as much from losing as you do from winning.

What do I hope to get out of coaching? By starting coaching at 15 I have given myself a massive head start. Even as I write, I am preparing to go on my second rugby coaching course; this time geared specifically to coaching U13s. These courses don’t dictate how you must run your sessions but just help with understanding how to get the most out of your sessions for the players. This combined with the wise guidance from Mr. Di Cataldo will hopefully be the unstoppable force that propels me into coaching stardom.

‘Thanks to the team and Mr. D for taking me under their wing and letting me be a part of their season. We are only halfway through and the next term of fixtures promise to excite. I look forward to seeing an unbeaten end to the season. Good luck.

JJ