Politics Live’s First Show! Stamford Politics students blog review.

Year 12 Politics students were enjoying their first day back at school and their first A level politics lesson, so what better way to celebrate than to watch Politics Live (via catch-up).   Politics Live,  is the BBC’s new Politics programme and yesterday was its first episode.  But what did the students make of the new show…

In this review of the TV programme Politics Live, I will be talking about my personal opinions, what worked and what didn’t, if I would recommend this programme to a particular audience, and what could be done to improve the show in the future.
Jo Coburn, the show’s presenter, asks the group of panellists, consisting of Amber Rudd, Emily Thornberry, Camilla Tominey, Anushka Asthana and Laura Kuenssberg, various political questions, of which the panellists debate over.
The show’s panellists have a good chemistry between each other, despite their different political views, and they are all able to have a good intelligent conversation with each other. Take for instance, Amber Rudd and Emily Thornberry’s differing views on if there should be an organisation testing drugs at festivals – despite this, the two are able to calmly debate over the topic, which shows that although the opinions may differ, there is no toxicity or aggression in the panel.
The topics covered were a range of subjects, from the best way to progress regarding the Chequers deal situation, to the toxicity of people online aimed towards people in government. This made the show have a good flow overall, and points and subjects were not recycled constantly.
This is a show of which some parts I would recommend to the younger generation, and some I would not. If the younger person has an interest in politics, then it is rather entertaining and enlightening to watch, and would definitely improve political knowledge. However, if the person is using this show to get introduced to Politics, it would be quite confusing as the subjects discussed are not explained to the audience – this I understand, as it would waste time and bore the panellists. However, I personally enjoyed the show and I think that it is a show that I will definitely watch in the future.
A couple of things that the show can do to improve on in the future, is maybe make the time for answering the question slightly shorter. As much as the answers were enjoyable, I found that sometimes the answer was slightly longer than needed. Another thing that the show could potentially do is, in upcoming episodes, potentially rotate guests, to show the variety in opinions on the programme.
Overall, I enjoyed the programme, I thought it was informative, and I think the show will only get better with time. It is not the best way to get introduced to Politics, but it is definitely useful to a person with some knowledge of Politics.
Jude Short, Year 12 student
I watched politics live and I think that I found the part on drugs the most interesting part and my biggest comment would be to stop focusing so heavily on the two biggest things that everyone is always talking about which is Brexit and Labour’s anti-semitism because I’ve been hearing about this stuff for ages and i find it rather boring, depressing and old.
I find it refreshing, new and interesting to talk, watch and debate about new interesting stuff like the war on drugs or perhaps a discussion hearing both sides of the argument between them all. An example could be; should we legalize cannabis? Should 16 year olds get the vote? Talks about gender and feminism, or even just talking about uplifting stuff that the government is trying to do to make the world a better place like how we are trying to tackle clean energy and make UK a better place in general so politics isn’t always just depressing. These are just a few examples of what other stuff i would rather watch discussions and debates about rather than the same old stuff with Brexit and anti-semitism.
This is just my opinion of course, I could be talking rubbish in other peoples opinion but this is my view.
Henry Broadhurst, Year 12 student.

“What I found encouraging on Politics Live was the clear willingness and effort to drive a younger audience to the show. For example, the use of bright colours during the introduction and the upbeat theme tune gave politics (a subject which could be perceived as being dull/grey by younger people) a fresh and cheerful interpretation.

I thought that during the debates, there was a clear flow and a good discussion, led by the main presenter, Jo Coburn. Coburn also acknowledged the audience very frequently, which made me feel as though I was involved in the debate. Every member of the panel had the opportunity to speak, and nobody’s opinions were mocked or made fun of, which would encourage young people to believe that there is no wrong opinion or view in politics.

Furthermore, the show uses Twitter to engage with their audience, which certainly interests a younger demographic, and makes them more likely to watch the debates in the future. This also gives young people the opportunity to ask questions, or explain their own political opinion to the panel, which will give them confidence and a greater understanding of the subject.”

Oscar Milner, Year 12 Politics student.

From first impressions the pilot of ‘Politics Live’ I felt that it was far more interesting than other shows that have attempted to cover the same topics as this new show. It felt as if it was far more accessible to younger viewers due to the way things were explained in a way that non-experts in Politics could understand and this is a key reason why I stayed interested. Usually, watching programmes such as this can drag and feel like torture at times but this show contained relevant topics that the panel covered well with contrasting views being argued in a more civilised fashion than other shows where everyone is ranting at each other.
I will tune in as much as I can, via the Iplayer (I can’t watch it live as I’m at school).
George Hooper, Year 12 Politics Student.
My personal opinion of Politics Live is that it speaks about various range of political movements,
ideologies and social movements which increase and varies the readers knowledge e.g Feminism,
being one of them. This has not only expanded my interest in politics internally within the country,
however externally between the Uk and other countries too. The show questions the audience as
well as myself by making us ponder and debate between ourselves as well as friends or family
asking us arousing questions such as “Has Politics become toxic?”. This engages the audience
watching the show making them feel involved within the show itself.
‘Politics Live’ has also heightened my knowledge of the bordering nations e.g. Northern Ireland and
has also increased my awareness that certain laws and regulations impact the lives of people living
within the UK. The show has also captivated my mind as they speak about topics such as Anti-
Semitism which is rarely spoken about between my peers. This has enlarged my passion for
Politics teaching me the wide spectrum of theory that is involved in the subject itself.
Adam Lamb, Year 12 Politics Student

Politics live has given me ,as a student, a clearer and untainted view of current events taking place in Europe and the U.K. Also with no media involvement and it being purely only politicians it allowed to gain a clearer view of key events like Brexit and the labour parties struggle of the understanding within the party of anti Semitism.

Also the programme became relevant to younger people like myself as drugs at festivals is a big issue to young people this summer. The programme highlighted the horrible nature of drugs which is often misunderstood by many young in recent times hence the recent increase in overdoses in teenagers. With this show unveiling the truth behind the drug issue in the U.K. Which is very dominant during festival season.

Bob Singer, Year 12 Politics Student