Blog Scoop! National Champion Reuben blogs exclusively for SES Blog!

My National Spelling Bee Championship

I started my day with my head held high as I was going to go to Cambridge with Mrs Pike for the national spelling bee. I spent the nerve-racking journey practising my Spelling Bee words so that when it came to the one minute I would be ready.

When the time came for my one minute I waited for the competitors ahead of me and watched them spell words, like machines!. I thought to myself “I still have a chance”.

When it came to my one minute I spelled as quickly and clearly as I could.

After all the competitors had finished we all had to wait outside for the judges to compare scores.

We were then invited to go into the main lecture theatre where they would call out the names of the top four so they could spell again for the prize.

I could not sit still and my heart was racing at 1000000 beats per minute.

After the first few names were called out to spell again I lost all hope. Then my name was called out. I raced to the front of the stage where I would spell again in front of a lecture theatre full of people.

The lady at the computer running the program gave me the warning that they were about to start the clock.

That minute was probably the tensest minute I had ever had.

They then went on to the other languages. I don’t know what was worse, before the minute or after.

Once everyone had finished they started giving out the prizes for the Spanish. They started with fourth, then third, second. At the point when they got to second I knew that I had won because my name had not been called out yet.

When I was called out for the first prize it was one of my proudest moments. The mayor of Cambridge himself gave me the prize.

I then went back to school with pride and glory.

I would like to thank Mrs Pike for all her help and support.