Elsie finds delight in the Infernal Devices! Book Review Blog.

Somehow, between the masses of homework, matches, training, TV watching and generally trying to live a life whilst going to school, I manage to read. I really like reading. I love the characters and the experiences they have. But don’t worry, this isn’t just some school language lesson were I talk about why I like reading.

Currently I am reading the final book in the Mortal Instruments series. I am a faithful fan of the author, Cassandra Clarem and have read the Infernal Devices, most of the Mortal Instruments and The Dark Artifices. They are all series set in the same fictional world. I love these books – the action, the humour and the vividly drawn characters –  the wonderful way they are written. You become so engrossed you can’t stop reading! 

For anyone wishing to read the series the correct order to read them in is:

1. Infernal Devices
  2. Mortal Instruments 
  3. Dark Artifices

My all time favourite character is Will Herondale from the Infernal Devices, a novel set in Victorian London. Will is a dedicated Shadowhunter (Warrior: half angel/half human) who are the protagonists of the series. He is a funny and an amazing character and his dialogue is full of playful wit. When I read these books I am transported to another world and I love how, as a series, they are intertwined and layered with interconnecting subplots. It is beautifully written and, considering I put down a book if I get bored within the first chapter, it is a real winner.  Last week, I was so engrossed in morning tutor time, that the whole class had left and a bemused Mr Tuck (my tutor) was telling me that I really did have to go to lessons!

I highly recommend these books, and I actually envy those readers yet to discover their delights!

Elsie Cunliffe, Year 11. November 2017.