Sophie Reeves blog visit to Bhaktivedanta Manor donated by Beatle, George Harrison to help understand Hindu Religion.

Year 9 have all recently been on a trip to Hindu Temple: Bhaktivedanta Manor.  This is a blog made up of some of us who went on the trip.  It tells you a bit about history of the manor but also about our own experience on the trip.  I hope you like it!

Monday 25th September

A small group departed our school on Monday 25th at 7:45 to Bhaktivedanta Manor. The journey took approximately 1hr45 – 2hrs, but once we had arrived it was well worth it.

I am Sophie Reeves, and I take Philosophy and Ethics as an option at my school Stamford High. Currently we are studying ‘Animal Rights’ which therefore visiting Bhaktivedanta Manor enhances our learning.

History of the Manor

The property was donated to the Hare Krishna movement in February 1973 by former Beatle George Harrison, after the Radha Krishna Temple in central London had become inadequate to house the growing number of devotees.

My Visit

When we arrived, we were greeted by some of the Hindus; Namaste, sometimes spoken as Namaskar, Namaskaram or Vanakkam, is a respectful form of greeting in Hindu custom, found on the Indian Subcontinent and among the Indian diaspora. It is used both for salutation (greeting) and valediction (farewell).

We took a stroll through the magnificent gardens, until we arrived at two oxen and a cart. The ox were very large and strong and clearly strong enough to pull a dozen people for approximately 300 yards. Being pulled by two large, almost beast like creatures gave a thrill that you couldn’t possibly have in a vehicle. Afterwards, we went and saw the cows that were free and looked content. The cow is thought to be a sacred or deeply respected animal. Hindus DO NOT worship cows, although they are held high in esteem.

Most Hindus practice a strict diet. Meat, fish, poultry and eggs are forbidden. Some may eat meat but if they do, for the most, part, they stay away from beef. Strict practitioners stay away from garlic, onions, mushrooms, alcohol, tea and coffee (no caffeine). Food plays an important role in worship and the food offered to God is thought to bestow considerable religious merit, purifying body, mind and spirit. Most Hindus incorporate their religious beliefs and good with each meal. At Bhaktivedanta Manor we had the opportunity to try a Hindu/vegetarian dish. The dish was named Paneer, which is a fresh cheese curry common in South Asia, especially in Indian, Pakistani, Afghan, Nepali, Sri Lankan, and Bangladeshi cuisines. Before I visited the manor, I thought that vegetarians only ate vegetables but it turned out they eat everything but meat and a few other things.  Because cows supply milk, in India, they are seen as the mother and therefore worthy or reverence. There is a symbolic relationship between men and cows. If we ensure they are fed, sheltered and protected then they will happily produce more milk for their calves, and we can take the excess without harming them in any way.

Afterwards, we headed into a small room and we were taught how to dress as a Hindu. In the early seventies, practically all women wore sari’s, therefore, we tried on some of the sari’s which is the most common clothing for Indian women. . We also put on a bindi which is worn between the eyes or the middle of the forehead, this represents divine and sight and shows that one is a Hindu. Once, we were dressed we headed into one of the morning services in the temple. It gave us a glance into what it would be like attending one every day. The atmosphere around us was truly incredible, children as young as three were following in their mother and father’s footsteps, copying everything they did. Some people, were singing, dancing, praying, playing a musical instrument or just listening.

At first, I wasn’t sure whether going on this trip would help any of my learning, but it did. It helped me understand Hinduism so much more while still being enjoyable. They hadn’t staged the atmosphere which I found was a good idea because we could then see what it is they do from day to day. There were certain things I didn’t agree with, for example, when we were pulled by two oxen, there was that amount of guilt for them, even though we know that it didn’t hurt them (they can pull twice their body weight,1198lbs). But, the idea that they don’t eat meat because they believe all animals have equal rights, I think everyone should be more lenient towards this.

Overall, I think that the visit to Bhaktivedanta manor, will let you see Hinduism from another angle. Instead of reading a book or a webpage etc being there really helps you’re understanding. Whether you agree or disagree with the Hindu ways, maybe Bhaktivedanta manor could change your mind.

Sophie Reeves, 9KTD

with additional material by Madeleine Kingsnorth.

Extra Photos by Louisa Jaggard